Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Natural Gas
Street repair


Broad River Water Authority (BRWA) is the water provider for the Town of Rutherfordton and also handles sewer billing. For more information, contact Broad River Water Authority at 828-286-0640 or visit their website at


Electric Service

Duke Energy is the predominate provider of electric power in the Town.
To report outages: 1-800-POWERON (1-800-769-3766) or visit


Telephone Service

There are several companies providing services. Please reference the yellow pages for a choice of companies.


Natural Gas

PSNC Energy is the natural gas provider for the Town of Rutherfordton and Rutherford County. Customer Care Center, call toll free 1-877-776-2427,



Street Repairs

There are Town maintained and State maintained streets inside the city limits.  
If there are Town streets in need of repair, please call 287-5961; if there are State roads in need of repair, please call the Department of Transportation – Road Maintenance Division at (828) 286-3433.

To see a list of Town maintained streets, click here
To see a map of Town roads, click here.


Reporting street light outages

Contact Town Hall at (828) 287-3520 with exact location information.


Street sign vandalism and downed signs

Contact the Public Works Department at (828) 287-5961 with exact location information.

If you wish to have a street sign or regulatory sign posted in your community 
Contact Town Hall at (828) 287-3520.



Establishing Sewer Service: 
If you are moving into an existing building, contacting BRWA will also begin your sewer service. For new construction, contact the Public Works Department at (828) 287-5961 to find out if sewer service is available in your area and locate the nearest sewer line. Prior to a sewer tap being installed, the property owner must pay a fee to the Town for the privilege of tapping into the sewer collection system. Click here (.pdf) for a listing of tap fees and current sewer rates. The Town's Public Works Department must inspect all sewer taps as they are installed. Please contact the Public Works Department at (828) 287-5961 to arrange a time for the inspection.

Sewer is billed by Broad River Water Authority on the same invoice as the water bill. Sewer fees are based on the water used as determined by BRWA meter readings. In order to avoid being billed sewer on water that is used for irrigation, filling a swimming pool, etc., a separate meter must be installed. Credits are not issued for these uses.

Reporting Leaks
To report a sewer leak, call (828) 287-5961 during normal business hours; after hours, call the communications center at (828) 286-2911. If there is a water leak, please contact Broad River Water Authority at (828) 286-0640. Please note that citizens are responsible for sewer lines up to the point where the line joins a main line.

Sewer Stoppages
The Town maintains and periodically cleans sewer lines and performs preventive maintenance and repairs, but occasionally a stoppage may occur. To report any sewer system problems, contact the Public Works Department at 287-5961 between 7:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday through Friday, for EMERGENCYS after hours, or on weekends or holidays, call 286-2911 (The Police Emergency Communications Center). The Town will assess the stoppage to determine if the blockage is on the Town's side of the sewer line or the homeowner's side of the sewer line. The Town will clear blockages that occur in the main sewer line. Homeowners are responsible for blockages that occur in the line between the main line and the dwelling (the "sewer lateral line").

A backflow valve is necessary to prevent wastewater from getting into a building during regular line cleanings and in case of a backup. Building code requires a backflow valve to be installed if the plumbing fixtures are below the top of the first, upstream manhole on the street. To find out if you have or need a backflow valve, check your plumbing plans or consult with your builder or professional plumber. The Town cannot be held liable for damages caused by wastewater backing up into a home or building when a backflow valve has not been installed by a property owner.

Prohibited Discharge into the Sewer System
The Town's Sewer Use Ordinance prohibits the disposing of grease, oil, paint and large amounts of chemicals into the collection system. Organizations that serve food such as restaurants are required to have a grease trap and should be cleaned at least once every three months. These substances can cause damage and possible harmful conditions to the Town's sewer collection system and equipment. If a problem occurs and a source can be found, stiff fines will be assessed.

Institutional food preparation and serving facilities are required to adequately trap and retain fats, oils and greases prior to discharge into the sewer treatment system. Residential users are asked to consider their own cleaning practices and their impact on the control of greasy wash water, food solids and oils to the sewer system. To view other prohibited discharges, click here (pdf).

Storm Drains
Storm drains are most often located in the curb of streets and go directly to area creeks and streams, not to the treatment facility. Storm drains or run off water should not be connected to the sewer system. Missing and broken storm drain covers or manhole covers should be reported. immediately to the Public Works 287-5961, Mon-Fri 7:30 am - 4pm or 286-2911 (The Police Emergency Communications Center) after hours, weekends and holidays.



Collection Schedule
Residential collection is typically done on Mondays and Tuesdays. To find out which day for your location, please contact Public Works at 287-5961. Recycling collection throughout the Town is typically done on Wednesdays and Thursdays. There is an additional collection in the business district on Fridays. Yard waste and brush pickups vary by demand, but should be not longer than two weeks. Please note the Public Works department is equipped to remove light or domestic yard waste - extensive landscaping or tree work done by a commercial firm or hired personnel, will need to be removed from the residence by the firm or person being paid for the service. Collection schedules may change as a result of holidays and operational priorities. Changes to the collection schedule will be posted in the "News and Events" section of the homepage of this website.

The Town provides one (1) 95 gallon garbage container to each residential unit served. Each container is imprinted with a serial number that is assigned to a specific residential address. National surveys indicate that 95 gallon containers such as this are adequate for the average home. This container will hold the equivalent of three normal trash cans. If you need additional capacity, you may purchase additional cans at Town Hall.


Placing the Container for Collection
Your container should be placed for collection no later than 7:30 a.m. on your collection day. The rollout container must be placed within five (5) feet of the street. Please do not block sidewalks, driveways, etc. with roll out containers. All garbage must be in the rollout container with no exceptions and the lids on the containers should be closed at all times. Anything outside of the container will not be collected.The emptied container should then be removed from the right of way no later than midnight on the day of collection.

If your container breaks through normal use the Town will replace it at no cost.  Please call the Public Works Department at 287-5961 to report a damaged container.  If, however, it can be shown that the container was damaged through deliberate misuse you will be charged for the container.

Stolen Container
Report stolen containers to the Rutherfordton Police Department immediately at 287-5062 or 286-2911.  Stolen containers should also be reported to the Public Works Department at 287-5961.  The Town will replace any stolen container, provided that a police report has been filed.

The rollout container is the property of the Town of Rutherfordton.  Each container is numbered and assigned to a specific address.  If you move, the container must remain at the current address.

Disabled Customers
If you find you are unable to roll the container to the curb, please contact the Public Works Department by calling 287-5961.  The Town will provide special collection services for the disabled.

Garbage Preparation
Garbage should be drained of any excess liquids prior to placing it in the container.  Bagging of the garbage is not required with the rollout containers; however, bagging the garbage will serve to keep the container cleaner and should help in eliminating any potential odor problems.  Do NOT place ashes, chemicals, or any flammable liquids, dirt, rocks, building materials, automobile parts, or other heavy metal objects in the rollout container.

Other Containers
Only the rollout container should be used for disposal of your garbage.  All garbage for collection should be placed inside the container.  If you find that the one container is not sufficient for the disposal of your garbage the Town will provide an additional container for a fee.

Construction Materials
Do not place construction materials such as: bricks, blocks, wood, or dirt in the rollout container.

Please be courteous to our pedestrians by not blocking sidewalks with garbage containers, recycling bins, yard waste, parked cars, leaves, etc.


Placing of Yard Waste
The Town of Rutherfordton leaf collection typically runs from late September / early October (all depending when the leaves start to fall) through late March. Leaves must be place at curbside before 7:30 a.m.  The leaf machine and Town personnel will not be permitted to enter private drives or private property.  After leaf collection season ends, all leaves must be bagged for collection.  For additional information, call 287-5961.

Do NOT place yard waste in your rollout container for collection. Yard waste is not to be disposed of in a solid waste land fill. Your container will not be emptied if it contains yard waste.


Yard waste is grass clippings, leaves, house plants, vines, tree and shrub trimmings. No stumps are allowed. Only brush/trimmings that could be handled by one person will be picked up. Any tree limbs must be cut from the main body of any limb or trunk and shall be no more than six (6) feet in length. Limbs should be turned with the cut side facing the street for manageable lifting and loading. All residential yard waste must be placed at the front of the premises adjacent to the portion of the street normally used by vehicles. Please do not block sidewalks, driveways, etc. with yard waste. Leaves must be kept separate from other yard waste because the leaves are picked up by a vacuum machine. Do NOT bag leaves or hedge clippings from September through March.

Responsibility of Yard Waste
Tree work or extensive landscaping by a commercial firm or hired personnel, will need to be removed from the residence by the firm or person being paid for the service.



Placing the Container for Collection
The Town furnishes each resdiential unit with one (1) 95 gallon recycling bin. Your recycling bin should be placed for collection no later than 7:30 a.m. on your collection day.  The recycling bin should be placed on the curb.  Please do not block sidewalks, driveways, etc. with recycling bins.  The emptied recycling bin should then be removed from the right of way no later than midnight on the day of collection.  To obtain a Town recycling bin please call the Public Works Department at 287-5961 for information.Exceptions List

Recycling Preparation
Recycle items should not be placed in bags or other types of containers, other than the recycling bin.  All corrugated cardboard boxes MUST be broken down, and placed in the recycling bin.

“White Goods”  such as refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, stoves, water heaters, washing machines and other appliances will be picked up for a fee.  Also household furnishings such as chairs, sofas, tables, mattresses, and televisions will be picked up for a fee.  Please do not block sidewalks, driveways, etc. with these goods.  The pick up of these items MUST be scheduled through the Public Works Department 287-5961, please contact that department for details, a price quote, and to arrange for pickup.

The Town will NOT pick up tires, batteries, or flammable materials.


Town Cemetery

The Town owns and maintains the cemetery located on Main Street just north of St. Francis Episcopal Church. To purchase a Town cemetery plot, you must be a bona-fide citizen of the Town of Rutherfordton. If a resident wishes to sell a cemetery plot it must be repurchase by the Town of Rutherfordton, not an individual. Please contact the Public Works Department at 828-287-5961 for information. Click here to view current cemetery fees.